The Malaga Film Festival announces the call for applications for MAFF 2024, the coproduction event of the Industry area MAFIZ
The period for the registration of projects for this edition, to be held from the 4th to the 8th of March, 2024, finalizes on the 10th of November
Today the Malaga Film Festival has announced the call for applications for MAFF (Malaga Festival Fund & Coproduction Event), an event that is part of the Industry area MAFIZ (Malaga Festival Industry Zone) and that will be held from the 4th to the 8th of March, 2024 in the framework of the 27th Malaga Film Festival.
MAFF is organised by the Malaga City Council and the Malaga Film Festival in collaboration with ICAA (Institute of Cinematography and Visual Arts of Spain), CAACI (Conference of Audiovisual and Cinematographic Authorities of Ibero-America), IBERMEDIA, FIPCA (Ibero-American Federation of Film and Audiovisual Producers) and EAVE (European Audiovisual Entrepreneurs).
Projects can be registered online until the 10th of November 2023 through the MAFIZ website. The projects that are selected will be announced at Ventana Sur 2023 (Buenos Aires).
MAFF is conceived as a space for communication that facilitates dialogue between producers of Latin American and European feature films, as part of a co-production and market encounter. It is a setting that favours the artistic growth of participating projects, international coproduction, the network of contacts and that increases their possibilities of financing. MAFF brings together, in a single venue, i.e. the city of Malaga, the main international co-production financing funds that exist at the international level.
MAFF, which will celebrate its sixth edition in 2024, has the following objectives:
• To select, guide and provide creative, economic and financial advice in order to generate viable, quality audiovisual projects, facilitating their insertion in the global market and their internalization.
• To provide personalized training and practice to producers and directors, in accordance with the need of the teams working on the selected projects with the objective of acquiring tools made available at in-person business encounters in the city of Malaga.
• To promote innovation in the business and production models of new feature films with a potential for international co-production, for their future distribution and marketing in different markets and by means of different methods
• To serve as the communication and networking platform of reference, where industry professionals can meet and learn about projects in their early stages of development.
• To generate spaces for reflection, debate and discussion of matters that affect the global audiovisual ecosystem and have an iompact on the projects that are included in the MAFF catalogue.
• To include the new players of the Ibero-American audiovisual industry and create new content through a dialogue with the new and diverse audiences that form part of our ever-growing audiovisual activity.
• iberoamericana y crear nuevos contenidos en diálogo con las audiencias: nuevos y diversos públicos que forman parte de nuestra actividad audiovisual en permanente crecimiento.
The projects selected in MAFF 2024 will compete for the following prizes:
• Bolivia Lab Industria Prize to participate in the production laboratory to be held in July 2024 in the city of Santa Cruz, Bolivia.
• Cántico Producciones Prizes: Two prizes will be awarded to two projects participating in MAFF.
First Prize: 10 minutes of original music, worth 6,400 €, for a project of fiction or a documentary, preferably from Central America or the Caribbean, participating in MAFF.
Second Prize: Original music and audio post production for a trailer or teaser of up to 2 minutes for a project of fiction or documentary participating in the MAFF section.
• ECAM Impulso Prize for personalized advice geared at enhancing the project and providing knowledge and tools for its implementation.
• Acorde / Music Library: Three prizes will be awarded to three MAFF projects (Prize for a Latin American project, Prize for an Ibero-American project, and Prize for a project of the Women Screen Industry section), consisting of a cash award of 300 euros, as well as a flat production fee worth 295 euros.
• SANFIC: Santiago International Film Festival
SANFIC Industry Prize to particpate in the production laboratory to be held in August 2024 in Santiago de Chile.
• SIDERAL: One of the projects participating in MAFF will be selected as the winner of a prize of consisting of 5,000 euros as the Minimum Gauranteed proceeds from its international distribution.