Call for applications for Malaga Work in Progress, an event of the Industry Area MAFIZ geared at Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American projects
The sixth edition will be held from the 13th to the 17th of March, 2023 in the framework of the 26th Malaga Film Festival
Today the Festival de Malaga Film Festival has announced the call for applications for Malaga Work in Progress, an event that forms part of its industry area MAFIZ (Malaga Festival Industry Zone) and that is geared at Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American projects. The event’s objective is to reinforce its commitment to the diversity of identities and languages of Ibero-America and its audiovisual industry.
Malaga WIP is organised by the Malaga City Council and the Malaga Film Festival in collaboration with ICAA (Institute of Cinematography and Visual Arts of Spain), CAACI (Conference of Audiovisual and Cinematographic Authorities of Ibero-American), IBERMEDIA and FIPCA (Ibero-American Federation of Film and Audiovisual Producers).
It will be held from the 13th to the 17th of March, 2023, in the framework of the 26th Malaga Film Festival. Projects can be registered online until the 15th of January through the MAFIZ website. The projects that are selected will be announced in January, 2023.
The objectives of this sixth edition of Malaga WIP are to boost the financing of films by presenting them to prominent professionals of the audiovisual industry; to favour their dissemination and promotion; to support the completion of films the post production phase; and to facilitate their international distribution.
Malaga Work in Progress comprises two different initiatives:
1. Málaga WIP España: designed to promote the completion of fiction feature films and documentaries in the final cut phase that are ready for the post production process and are seeking to ensure their international distribution. Six Spanish films will participate in the event.
2. Malaga WIP Ibero-America: designed to promote the completion of fiction feature films and documentaries in the final cut phase that are ready for the post production process and are seeking to ensure their international distribution. Six Ibero-American films will participate in the event.
Participating films will be selected by a committee of renowned experts, and will be screened at for the professionals participating in MAFIZ and in the 26th Malaga Film Festival, including sales agents, international distributors, festival programmers, international funds and producers.
The films selected for Malaga WIP will compete for the following prizes:
- Malaga Film Festival: 5,000 euros for an Ibero-American project and 5,000 euros for a Spanish project
- Aracne Digital Cinema: for one of the projects, a prize worth 20,000 euros consisting of postproduction and the final copy.
- Damita Joe: for one of the projects, a prize consisting of national distribution
- Latam Cinema.Com: for a project from Ibero-America, a prize consisting of an advertising page in the journal LatAm Cinema
- Music Library: The musical supervision division ACORDE of Music Library &SFX will give a cash prize of 300 euros, together with a flat production fee worth 300 euros, to an Ibero-American project, and will also give the same prize to a Spanish project.
- Yagán Films: a sound post-production prize worth 13,000 euros
- Cine y Tele: for one of the Spanish projects, an advertising page in the journal Cine y Tele
The collaborating festivals that are committed to selecting a Malaga WIP project to participate in their industry laboratories are the following:
- SANFIC INDUSTRIA - Santiago International Film Festival
- ABYCINE - Albacete International Film Festival
- REC – Tarragona International Film Festival