The Malaga Film Festival announced at Ventana Sur the names of candidates who have been selected to take part in MAFF 2024, the coproduction event of the Industry Area MAFIZ
The next edition of MAFF will be held from the 4th to the 8th of March in the framework of the Malaga Film Festival
The Malaga Film Festival announced at Ventana Sur the names of candidates who have been selected to take part in MAFF (Malaga Festival Fund & Co Production Event), an event that forms part of the Industry Area MAFIZ (Malaga Festival Industry Zone) which will be held from 4th to 8th March 2024 in the framework of the 27th Malaga Film Festival. The announcement was made by Annabelle Aramburu, the coordinator of MAFIZ, who was accompanied by Camilo Vázquez Bello, Deputy Director General for Promotion and International Relations of ICAA.
MAFF is organised by the Malaga City Council and the Malaga Film Festival in collaboration with ICAA (Institute of Cinematography and Visual Arts of Spain), CAACI (Conference of Audiovisual and Cinematographic Authorities of Ibero-America), IBERMEDIA, FIPCA (Ibero-American Federation of Film and Audiovisual Producers) and EAVE (European Audiovisual Entrepreneurs).
MAFF is conceived as a space for communication that facilitates dialogue between producers of Latin American and European feature films, as part of a co-production and market encounter. It is a setting that favours the artistic growth of participating projects, international coproduction, the network of contacts and that increases their possibilities of financing. MAFF brings together, in a single venue, i.e. the city of Malaga, the main international co-production financing funds that exist at the international level.
The projects selected by the Committee are the following:
• La lengua del agua (Venezuela / Dominican Republic), Jeissy Trompez
• Allq’u (Peru), Teo Belton
• Los pasajeros del último viaje (Cuba / Colombia), Marta María Borrás
• Habitación 205 (Chile / Argentina), Pablo Díaz
• Un amputado (Chile), Ignacio Pávez
• La costa (Spain), Nerea Barros
• El milagro del Surubi (Uruguay), Lorenzo Tocco
• La vida simple (Panama), Abner Benaim
• Resistencia (Dominican Republic), Yannilys Pérez
• El niño y el tiburón (Peru / Spain), Lucía Florez
The projects selected pursuant to agreements with other festival are the following:
• Bolivia Lab - La carne dócil (Spain), Pedro Gumão
• Brasil Cinemundi - Infantaria (Brazil), Lais Santos Araújo
• DAFO Perú – Suiza (Peru), María Fernanda Gonzales Vargas
• SANFIC - Las locas de la Praviana (El Salvador / Spain), Brenda Vanegas
In addition, there are two other projects for the section Maff Women Screen Industry, two for Latin American Focus and two for Territories that will be announced in the near future.
MAFF, which will celebrate its sixth edition in 2024, has the following objectives:
• To select, guide and provide creative, economic and financial advice in order to generate viable, quality audiovisual projects, facilitating their insertion in the global market and hence their internalization.
• To provide personalized training and practice to producers and directors, in accordance with the need of the teams working on the selected projects with the objective of acquiring tools made available at in-person business encounters in the city of Malaga.
• To promote innovation in the business and production models of new feature films with a potential for international co-production, for their future distribution and marketing in different markets by means of different methods.
• To serve as the communication and networking platform of reference, where industry professionals can meet and learn about projects in their early stages of development..
• To generate spaces for reflection, debate and discussion of matters that affect the global audiovisual ecosystem and have an impact on the projects that are included in the MAFF catalogue.
• To include the new players of the Ibero-American audiovisual industry and create new content through a dialogue with the new and diverse audiences that form part of our ever-growing audiovisual activity.
The projects selected in MAFF 2024 will compete for the following prizes:
• Bolivia Lab Industria Prize to participate in the production laboratory to be held in July 2024 in the city of Santa Cruz, Bolivia.
• Cántico Producciones Prizes: Two prizes will be awarded to two projects participating in MAFF.
First Prize: 10 minutes of original music, worth 6,400 €, for a project of fiction or a documentary, preferably from Central America or the Caribbean, participating in MAFF.
Second Prize: Original music and audio post production for a trailer or teaser of up to 2 minutes for a project of fiction or documentary participating in the MAFF section.
• ECAM Impulso Prize for personalised advice geared at enhancing the project and providing knowledge and tools for its implementation.
• Acorde / Music Library: Three prizes will be awarded to three MAFF projects (Prize for a Latin American project, Prize for an Ibero-American project, and Prize for a project of the Women Screen Industry section), consisting of a cash award of 300 euros, as well as a flat production fee worth 295 euros.
• SANFIC: Santiago International Film Festival
SANFIC Industry Prize to participate in the production laboratory to be held in August 2024 in Santiago de Chile.
• SIDERAL: One of the projects participating in MAFF will be selected as the winner of a prize consisting of 5,000 euros as Minimum Guaranteed proceeds from its international distribution.